the only words that rhyme with optimism are bosom and spasm....


Optimism makes my bosom spasm.
Seriously.

In recent depths of boredom, I discovered the wonderfulness that is www.superforest.org.
Just a group of folks making positive contributions to our otherwise seemingly dreary planet, in the hopes of influencing others to make such contributions themselves. Well, obviously it works. This is my gift (I know this is debatable.) The Superforesters support their mission with a lovely piece of literature called the Humanifesto. http://teamsuperforest.org/superforest/?page_id=1446

I have always prided myself on being polite, I am one of those people that says please for you if you don't, I excuse other people who don't excuse themselves, and I thank folks on all of our behalves.
However, I have never really considered the scope of "global manners".

This all happens to fall in line with my quest of making myself an optimist. If you know me at all, you know I have a propensity for cynicism. I am putting forth my best effort to alleviate negativity from my life. I have recently reread The Secret, a book I purchased some years ago, and tossed aside with disdain for new age, neo-hippy, hooha. I believe at the time of my purchase I was at a place in life where I could not have grasped the concepts in this little book if someone would have come along and gorilla glued it to my hand. At this juncture in my life, I am searching for the light. There has to be a better way. Being pissed at the world at large serves no one. Upon visiting www.thesecret.tv I stumbled upon the optimist's creed.
It reads as follows :

Promise Yourself:

To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.

To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet.

To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.

To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.

To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.

To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.

To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.

To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.

To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have not time to criticize others.

To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble. - C.D. Larson


I have made it a point to read this as soon as I wake in the morning, and just before going to sleep at night, and for the few days I have been doing this, I can already tell there is a huge attitude adjustment on the horizon. If it is true that what you put out into the universe is precisely what you will recieve in return, then by all means, put out all that is wonderful, harmonious, happy, and loving. I decided to start this blog, as a way of not only sharing how my experiment in changing myself goes, but to also liberate others to try the same thing.

So go on with your day, share a smile, hold open a door, laugh at a bad joke, tell your friends and family what they mean to you and just see if the universe sends a big hi-five your way. :)

2 comments:

Allison said...

Good thoughts here Nicole. The world would be such a better place if just a few more people would take on the challenge to love others, even the unlovable, no matter what...
also, good writing! Are you sure you haven't missed your calling?

Unknown said...

thanks Al! I don't know if I have missed my calling or not....I've always enjoyed writing

The Kind Ones